We recommend that you review all sections of the online application before beginning to work on it. Note the two essay prompts and all the other important information that you will be asked to fill in before submitting. Prior to entering your information online, we recommend that you copy and save the application as a PDF or Word document so that you can easily reference while not online. Doing this will allow you to prepare and gather all necessary information.
A Completed Application Includes:
- Submission of an online application including the two essays: Personal Statement and Statement of Research
- Personal Statement: In 1000 words or less, please discuss your personal background, academic progress to this point, as well as your academic and professional goals for the future. Be sure to explain how participation in the USC Research Gateway Scholars Program will help you achieve your personal, academic, and professional aspirations.
- Research Statement: In 500 words or less, please discuss your academic research interests and explain how your participation in the USC Research Gateway Scholars Program will assist you in furthering these interests and developing as a scholar.
- The following supplemental documents can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered to the Research Gateway Office, STU 300L:
- A resume/CV
- 2 letters of recommendation
- 1st must be from USC faculty member (with official letterhead)
- 2nd may be from USC faculty, staff, or current employer
- Copies of USC STARS Report (entire document)
Applicants: For supplemental documents being emailed as part of your application, please include the following SUBJECT LINE:
“Research Gateway Application: First Name, Last Name” -ex: “Research Gateway Application: Tommy Trojan”
Faculty Member: Have your faculty recommender send your letter (must have official letterhead) of recommendation to email@example.com.
Please have him/her include the following SUBJECT LINE:
“Research Gateway LOR for Student First and Last Name” -ex: “Research Gateway LOR for Tommy Trojan”
Please note that the USC Gateway Scholars application is due October 27 at 11:59pm.